twitter




Tuesday, May 25, 2010

I have a hard lump in my neck about a half inch away from a mole, what could this be?

It is on the left side of my neck, halfway between my shoulder and ear, and about a half an inch behind the ear. It feels like it is the size of a marble, and I can move it around a little. It hurts a little to touch, and my jaw hurt when I open it.

I haven't had a cold in about a year - so it couldn't be from being sick.

I normally wouldn't be *too* concerned with it, but like I said, it is a half inch away from a mole.

When I was younger I had a mole removed because they thought it was cancerous. This mole hasn't changed colors yet - but I worry a lot.

I don't have insurance so I want to research this as much as I can before I resort to going to my doctor.

Any help would be great!
Answer:
Sounds like a swollen gland (lymph node). They exist in clumps, and there is a chain right in the area you describe. They can swell when you have been exposed to an illness, and your body is fighting it off, even if you haven't become symptomatic or "come down" with the illness itself. Still, if you are concerned, or if the lump is hard or doesn't move at all, or is really painful or grows quickly, it is best to have it checked out.

Good luck,
Julie
maybe you have some kind of infection and its just an inflamed lymph node. that happened to me all i took was antibiotics... and it went away. go to a doctor.
It could just be a swollen gland that some antibiotics would clear but it also could be more serious. You should go to the doctor, dont put this off.
well it could be anything. maybe you didn't drink enough water. or maybe other thing.. i strongly recommand you to go see a doctor for your own safety. good luck.
It doesn't matter what *I* think it is. You're worried, and that's all the reason you need to go to the doctor. If you can't afford to go, then go to the ER; it's not the ideal solution, but it will do the job.
Most lumps are not cancerous but are scary, but all lumps should be examined by a competent physician. The mole is unchanged so it may be unrelated. No insurance does makes it difficult. Tell the doctor you haven't insurance and ask if they have a "self-pay" rate (uninsured patients will be charged a little less). Be prepared to pay for the visit at the time of the visit, however.

If recommended by the doctor, MRIs or CATs to examine the lump is another matter. When with the doctor ask if he can direct you to an organization that will help underwrite the tests if necessary. Don't delay, it may be something simple, you'll save yourself worry and be reassured. Good Luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
vc .net